Meeting Place and Time:
Please take note of the different meet-up places for each of the outreach activity.
- Daily Soup Kitchen – 7:30am at Scoulla Della Gioia, Radial Road 10, Brgy. 105, Tondo
- Saturday Feeding and Brain Booster – 7:00am at the parking lot in front of Manila Hotel
- Sunday After School Program – 7:00am at Isetann Mall, Recto
Please be on time to be considerate of the other volunteers and the hungry children waiting in the community.
Briefing of all volunteers at Helping Land begins no later than 8:00 am by an assigned volunteer.
What to Expect:
Helping Land can be muddy regardless of the weather and it is surrounded by garbage. We recommend you wear closed shoes or rubber boots in the rainy season. Bring a scarf or handkerchief and hand sanitizer.
- Respect the community.
- Teach children to say “Thank you” or “Salamat po” after giving out their meals/drinks/gifts.
- Encourage children to clean up after themselves. Put trash in garbage bags.
- Actively participate in the activities: distribution of food, brain booster activity, tutorial, etc. Take the initiative to help.
- Endorse any in-kind donations (shoes, clothes, toys, etc.) to Kuya Juan for proper and more efficient distribution. For group sponsors, please follow the maximum number of volunteers allowed for each outreach.
- Do not question the parents or suggest how to live their lives and how to raise their children.
- Inappropriate behavior ( using sexually explicit words and phrases; inappropriate touching)is a big NO and will not be tolerated.
- Do not yell or scream at children. No hitting and/or grabbing children; do not force children to hold hands, or to hug or kiss. Do not force children to take photos with you.
- No cash should be given to any child or adult. No buying of treats (candies, bread, soda, etc.) for the kids.
- No clothing with rude, vulgar, or offensive language; no skimpy clothes, revealing tops and bottoms.
- Do not scold when pointing out errors. Use a positive approach.
- No smoking around kids.
- Use of banners is discouraged.
- Do not show pity. Do not show you are gross out with their living condition.
- No photographs of naked/nude children.
- We have several core volunters who are assigned as photographers, and they will document all the activities.
- You are allowed to take photos. When posting photos of the outreach in social media sites and other websites, please mention Project PEARLS with a link of our webiste (projectpearls.org), and/or use #projectpearls. This is to raise awareness about the program and to encourage more people to support our mission.
- DO NOT take pictures for your personal benefit – photo contest, photo exhibit, professional portfolio, etc. These children are already living in depressing conditions, and we do not want anyone to exploit or take advantage of their situation just for their personal benefit.
- We discourage group of photographers (professional or amateur) in our event. We discourage the use long-range zoom lenses
For any issues or concerns, please bring them up directly to Melissa Villa at [email protected], instead of posting them online. Thank you!
Download a copy here: Project PEARLS Volunteering Guidelines
Share and Enjoy